Areas of Practice
Mark Baker is a partner in Wheatley Bingham & Baker, LLP, and has practiced civil litigation in San Diego County for over 20 years. Mr. Baker's primary area of practice is personal injury litigation involving complex tort claims. His work involves both the representation of seriously injured persons and the defense of commercial ventures, individuals, and public entities in tort actions. Mr. Baker's practice also includes diverse matters involving subrogation, commercial, and business litigation. He has tried numerous cases to verdict in various state courts in Southern California, and successfully litigated other matters throughout the State of California.
- Representation of two minor children in a wrongful death/product liability action arising out of the death of their father caused by the failure of a 40-year-old piece of highway construction equipment. After rejecting the defendant's $40,000 initial "final" settlement offer, Wheatley Bingham & Baker, LLP achieved an eventual out-of-court settlement of $2.5 million paid to its clients, representing one of the largest wrongful death settlements ever reported for a case venued in the County of San Bernardino, City of Barstow.
- Representation of one of several insurance companies in the prosecution of the 2007 San Diego Wildfire litigation resulting in a combined settlement payment of nine hundred eighty-five million dollars ($985,000,000) from the adverse party.
- Representation of motor vehicle accident victims in numerous personal injury claims and lawsuits resulting in settlements equal to or in excess of one hundred thousand dollars ($100,000).
- Representation of a dog attack victim resulting in a three hundred thousand dollar ($300,000) settlement from the homeowner insurance company for the responsible dog owner.
- Representation of an individual who sustained serious injuries when his hand was caught in an electric generator. The resulting lawsuit and investigation culminated in a five hundred thousand dollar ($500,000) settlement on behalf of the individual, overcoming the defendant's entrenched position that it was not responsible.
- Successful representation of numerous Southern California businesses in their efforts to obtain reimbursement of workers' compensation benefits paid to employees arising out of the negligent acts of third parties, resulting in combined multi-million dollar settlements/verdicts of the claims and lawsuits asserted against the responsible third parties.
- Representation of a well known baby product manufacturer in the successful defense of claims that baby carriers caused serious injuries to infants.
- Representation of various public entities in the defense of numerous wrongful death and catastrophic injury lawsuits involving claims of dangerous condition of public property.
- Representation of a large San Diego company with ownership interests in thousands of residential units in the successful defense and/or resolution of multiple personal injury claims